January 29, 2008- Feeling Baby J

Today I got an amazing reality check. I had an appointment with my midwife, Amrit, and was telling her about how I was still running around town, running all these errands and feeling a little hectic about all there was to do. She advised me that I should be careful with my energy, that I should be nesting and get as much rest as possible because I was going to need it if I went into labor, which she mentioned could happen at any time now. Though I knew she was right, my stubborn mind felt I couldn't settle or be at ease until I got some major things off my to-do list. So although I was outwardly agreeing, inside I was telling myself it's okay to keep pushing on. I think Amrit picked up on this because she suggested that we do a pelvic exam to check on the baby, which usually is not her procedure of how she takes the baby stats. As she was feeling around inside she said, " I can feel the baby's head. Baby J has dropped into the pelvic cavity." She had me put on gloves to feel and I can't express the feeling in my heart when I felt Baby J's head. I was touching my baby. The feeling overwhelmed me with joy and excitement. It meant the baby really could be with us any day now. That the baby was positioning itself for the birth journey. I know this could also mean that the baby still could have a couple of weeks, yet my entire perspective changed. All that I felt was important to do, that I could not let go of before, just seemed to float away. It finally hit me that I really could go into labor at any moment and that being calm and settled was so necessary for the adventure I am about to embark on. My spirit felt uplifted and my priorities redirected. I am grateful that Amrit knows me so well and that she suggested the exam. It changed everything. I really feel blessed that she will be at my side during labor.
Also another reason to celebrate is that today my little niece, Ava Elisabeth, was born. She is healthy and beautiful and she and my sister,Rosa, are doing great. Thank you God for the amazing blessing of bringing Baby Ava into our lives. May she be a light for all of us.

No comments: