June 9, 2007

We were trying to figure out the perfect way to tell The Coopers that we were pregnant. Months before, we had planned a special weekend of flying Joshua’s parents to the Bay to celebrate Art’s 60th birthday. We were debating whether to keep the news to ourselves for the first two months (which most books and some people recommend due to the complications that can happen in the first trimester) or to share our great news and excitement. At this point we were only two weeks pregnant so we did recognize that it was a bit early to tell everyone. Yet in the end, we decided that the joy and happiness of having them present and being able to see their faces when we told them was a present in it self. Still, we wanted to share the news in a creative way. Here is what we came up with.

When we all get together for family gatherings, we love to play games. All kind of games like boardgames, card games, charades. That was it! We would have them figure it out in a charades game. Before we began, Josh and I mentioned to the group that we’d like to add a new category to accompany the normal guess a book, movie, or song title. That new category was an event. Everyone agreed and like the new twist on the game. We were playing for about an hour with all of us taking turns. Josh and I even played out some events like Springtime Tallahasse Festival and Jazz Fest. Eventually it was time to share the news. I was a little nervous to get up and act out “I am pregnant”. I stalled for awhile, pretending I was thinking about how to act out my topic. When I began, I made the hand signal we had come up with to signify I was acting out an event. Then I held up one finger and showed them I was doing the first word. I pointed to myself and they all guessed words like you, me and then said “I”. I nodded to let them know that was right. Then I held up two fingers and let them guess that it was a small word. Again they began to guess words like so, an, be and then said “am” in which I indicated was the right word. Next was the big one. I placed my hands on my diaphragm and then made a big round shape over my belly. They immediately said “pregnant” in which I put a smile on my face an nodded. Josh and I were watching their faces, yet they all still seemed a bit confused. They kept saying, “Okay, I am pregnant”. And then repeating outloud to themselves, “I am pregnant”, as if there was something they were missing or that I was not saying. They looked over to Josh and then back at me and I just gave them another big smile and nod. Ashly, in her cute pregnant self was like yeah, I am pregnant. Then Adam asked me,” Are you pregnant?” Joshua and I said yes at the same time and then everyone started screaming and coming towards me with big open arms. Such a glorious moment. One we will always cherish and hold in our hearts. It really was such a fun way to share that we are having a baby.

No comments: